Menu

Oxon Hill Bicycle and Trail Club

2014 Indian Head 100

• Tue, September 09, 2014 11:14 AM
    Message # 3095675
    Jim Hudnall (Administrator)

Beautiful weather brought out the cyclists for the 14th annual Indian Head 100. 757 riders registered/checked-in and rode 17 to 100 miles.

The first rest stop at Smallwood State Park was popular with cyclists who were happy to avoid the unpaved road to the Mattawoman Creek Art Center. The location was changed from the art center to the park because construction and mud made for difficult access to the art center. The art center was a wonderful rest stop for the first 13 years of the Indian Head 100, but the sentiment seems to be that cyclists prefer Picnic Pavilion #2 in the park.

The Bel Alton Newtown, Springhill Newtown, Old Stagecoach Rd loop was replaced this year Fairgrounds Rd, St Marys Ave, and MD-6 because of milling and repaving on Bel Alton Newtown Rd.  The La Plata police chief gave the ok for the route to go through La Plata and he provided an officer at the St Mary's and MD-6 to help cyclists making the left turn onto MD-6. Several riders said they liked the route on Fairgrounds Rd and would like for it to be used again.

To make up for the lost mileage by not using the Bel Alton Newtown loop, miles were added by taking Fire Tower Rd from Annapolis Woods Rd to MD-6 instead of staying on Annapolis Woods Rd to MD-6. Cyclists seemed to like the change, especially those who needed a break at Scott's Store in Welcome. 

There have been many positive comments about the event. One cyclist said, "Thank you for this amazing and well-supported event. I am new to the sport of cycling and I couldn't have felt more welcome, safe, and nourished by such an amazing, friendly, supportive bunch of event volunteers as well as fellow cyclists."  The event would not happen without the 75 club members who marked roads, purchased and delivered supplies, folded and bagged t-shirts, directed parking, checked-in and registered riders, sold club jerseys, coordinated SAG drivers, drove SAG, worked at rest stops and the picnic, and helped clean up after the picnic.

We thank the Town of Indian Head for use of the Pavilion and Village Green, the Bike Doctor of Waldorf for mechanical support, the Charles County Amateur Radio Club for communications support, Maryland Department of Natural Resources for access to Smallwood State Park and use of the park pavilion, Congregation Sha-are Shalom for volunteers at the Riverside rest stop, the family of Marjorie Harrison for use of their property for the Riverside rest stop, St. Ignatius Church for allowing use of their parish hall and providing volunteers from the youth group to work at the rest stop,  the National Park Service for permitting the rest stop at the entrance to the Thomas Stone Historic House, and to Keany Produce for their donation of produce.

Last modified: Tue, September 09, 2014 7:46 PM | Jim Hudnall (Administrator)
  • Thu, September 11, 2014 7:30 PM
    Reply # 3097437 on 3095675

First, I am a new Club member and Sunday was my first OHBTC ride (60 mi option).

I am very impressed with the planning, organization and execution of everything associated with the Indian Head event.  I can only hope that future events are as well done.

I would also like to add a thank you to La Plata, as the two policemen controlling traffic at the left hand turn in town were great and seemed to be happy with what they were doing.

- Pete H.

Oxon Hill Bicycle and Trail Club
P.O. Box 81  
Oxon Hill, MD 20750-0081

Patuxent River Rural Legacy Bicycle Ride Be a volunteer