Menu

Oxon Hill Bicycle and Trail Club

SAFETY/ED: Avoiding a bonk

• Mon, May 13, 2013 7:32 AM
    Message # 1291757
    Anonymous

“Deriving from the original meaning ‘to hit’, the bonk refers to that catastrophic moment when there’s suddenly nothing left in the tank; when the legs turn to jelly, and getting to the finish becomes an altogether supreme effort of will.” - Nick Morgan, “Beat the Bonk,” BikeRadar

Do you have a game plan for avoiding a bonk? Proper nutrition and hydration, before and during rides, will keep you riding at your best. Keep the bonk at bay by reviewing these resources and ensuring you’ve got a plan to meet your energy needs for every ride.

• Beat the Bonk - Reviews nutritional causes of bonking and how to safeguard against them, as well as the complex and controversial aspects of bonking. 
    • Cycling Nutrition: Eating on the Bike - Basic nutrition approach for avoiding a bonk - kinds of food to eat, good carbs for long rides, when to eat, how to carry food, on-bike eating, discovering food limits, & what happens if you don’t eat.

What tips do you have?

Last modified: Mon, May 13, 2013 7:41 AM | Anonymous
  • Tue, May 14, 2013 8:01 AM
    Reply # 1292666 on 1291757
    Deleted user
    "Bonking" is quite a surprise to new riders; they generally have no idea until it happens to them the first time.

On a ride with George, I was starting to get wobbly and my legs were turning into noodles.  We stopped at a local store where he instructed me to get a Coke and some peanuts.  The sugar and salt straightened things out in short order and I was able to finish the ride.

If I am doing a long ride or riding somewhere without known stops I will pack a mini bottle of Coke or Pepsi in case of this emergency (along with at least 2 bottles of water and a snack).  

Thanks for bringing up the topic!  

Oxon Hill Bicycle and Trail Club
P.O. Box 81  
Oxon Hill, MD 20750-0081

Patuxent River Rural Legacy Bicycle Ride Be a volunteer