Menu

Oxon Hill Bicycle and Trail Club

Report from Charles County Traffic Safety Meeting

• Thu, August 21, 2014 4:45 PM
    Message # 3083371
    Walt Roscello (Administrator)

Mike Bivens and Walt Roscello attended the Charles County Traffic Safety Committee Meeting today.  We addressed two items and I believe we made a small step on each.

First, we discussed the hazardous drain grates on Billingsly Road.  Although the mood of the county reps was to avoid the expense of replacing the grates, the action from the meeting is for the county attorney to review the state law prohibiting that type of grates and determine if it applies to the county-owned road.  I think this is a positive step because if the attorney determines the county is bound by the wording of state law, the logjam on action to replace the grates could break.  If the attorney finds in the other case, we can still pursue various avenues of public pressure to have the grates changed.

Second, we briefed the use of "Bicyclists May Use Full Lane" signs to the committee.  Long story short is, the county will install one set of signs on Middletown Road between Billingsly and Rt. 227 (Marshall Corner Rd) as a test case and later evaluate their desire to place additional signs.  They are using the list of roads we produced as a prioritized listing to work down.  Washington Ave. leading into La Plata and Bumpy Oak Road are the next two on the list.

Though this seems like little motion, it is some motion nonetheless.  With persistence I think conditions will improve one thing at a time.

Oxon Hill Bicycle and Trail Club
P.O. Box 81  
Oxon Hill, MD 20750-0081

Patuxent River Rural Legacy Bicycle Ride Be a volunteer